Friday, February 18, 2005

College Visits




Greg and I headed off on a whirlwind week-long trip to visit a variety of college campuses.

I chose to interpret the 'no electronic devices, or the captain will come out and defenestrate you instantly' warning to not include digital cameras, and snapped this photo of Greg (already absorbed in his book), and me (looking somewhat tired and confused already) as the plane took off. The friendly flight attendant watched the entire process with bemused interest. No captain appeared. I didn't bother to explain to anyone that the camera probably radiated strongly at all the wrong radio frequencies.

I had to force the smile, which is why it looks, well, forced. I don't like flying, not because I worry about crashes but because you're trapped in an aluminum tube with 180 strangers, most of whom probably have some dread illness. To confirm my worst fears, the woman behind us on this flight coughed all the way from Seattle to Philly, in this terrible wracking way that suggested that she was suffering from the end stages of consumption.

Isn't it time for a civilized mode of travel, like high speed trains?