Saturday, December 04, 2004

Rain/Paying attention

It's rainy this morning. We went down to Starbucks and got coffee. The Boy Scouts were decorating the Starbucks windows, and I paid attention and found one decent photograph, and I felt proud that I was paying attention.





We moved on to the library to pick up books. At the library, all of the shrubs were wet, in that really wet way things are when all the dirt has washed off. I was very proud I noticed how the soft light from overcast sky looked on the waxy leaves of the shrubs, and I paid attention and I made several photographs there, and I felt good that I'd paid attention and noticed this stuff.




And then I got home, and I looked at the photos of the shrubs, and there's this leaf in the corner, throwing the balance off, and there's another leaf hiding in the back just being obnoxious, and I wonder, "What the heck was I paying attention to?.

It sure wasn't what was in the image I was making.

It's embarassing, is what it is. Not only do I need to learn to pay attention, I need to learn to pay attention while I'm paying attention.