Friday, December 03, 2004

Wachet auf! ruft uns die Stimme

Oh, oh. I just slept poorly. Very poorly. All morning, I've been trying to wake up. So I sat down on the sofa and listened to the stereo, which was playing a playlist of every Christmas album we have.

And the next track started - with a soft trumpet carrying the melody over a pipe organ carrying the emerging bass line - the familar music of J. S. Bach's Cantata #140

And in that curious memory flash thing I get sometimes, I was catapulted back to college days, when my roommate and I got in the habit of sleeping with the stereo on, tuned to WFLN, the Philadephia classical music station. In the wee hours of the morning, WFLN had a program of softer music which opened with that particular piece. I haven't thought about that in more than twenty years. It's funny how the rush of day to day life seems to sweep us past pleasant things like waking up at 3am to hear Bach playing, until something almost insignificant triggers a flood of memories so clear and sharp it's like reliving the experience.

Part of the struggle to wake up today has been several cups of tea. Here's one in the process. You can't see it, but the kettle is making friendly rushing/boiling noises, getting ready for the happy little 'click' as it decides the water is hot and announces the event by turning itself off.





Sleepers, awake! The voice calls us!